Educator Mommies

Earlier this past week I got the idea of doing a blogger spotlight on Moms that are teachers. I know in my own personal live that since I am a studying to be a teacher I tend to place more emphasize on my son's education. If you would like to be Featured blogger, click here to fill out the form. 

Being a mom is a full time job, and so is being a teacher. Well, this mom has three children under the age of five and is a full time teacher. She loves both careers and wouldn't trade them for anything. She has inspired me through her blogging. Please welcome in her first ever guest post, Holly from Twins Plus One.





So what is it like to be a mommy and a teacher?

It's absolutely wonderful...right now. I say right now because I am an early childhood teacher, specializing in teaching children ages birth-eight. Right now all of my kids fall into this range. My twins are preschoolers and I'll be beginning my first year teaching Pre-K this August. (I've spent the last 6 years teaching 1st and 2nd grade.) It's been incredibly beneficial to have my twins to use as "test subjects" for various pre-kindergarten lessons and activities I've come up with over the summer! Most of the activities have ended up being very successful, which gives me hope for the upcoming school year!

Some of the great things we did this summer included: water play with measuring cups, baking cookies, making homemade frosting, experimenting with shaving cream, LOTS of painting (with water, watercolors, tempura paints, and even pudding), sticker art, stringing beads, and lots of gluing small objects onto the largely printed letters of our names. Many of these activities have been showcased on my blog these past couple of months. I can sincerely say that it's been an incredible journey of learning in our house since June...mostly for me.

I feel very fortunate to have the educational background that I do because I know it benefits my children greatly. Well, at least it will until they turn 8. Then I'm giving them to my husband. (No, not really.)

Further, it works both ways. Being a teacher positively affects my parenting, but being a parent most certainly affects my teaching in great ways too. I can not only sympathize, but also empathize with my students' parents. I have an understanding of the struggles parents face as they are trying to bring up their young children to the best of their abilities. I know what is developmentally appropriate for their children and I've learned to share that with them effectively, without criticism and with care.

I think I have two of the most important jobs in the world - that of mommy and that of teacher - and I never forget that. I believe in children; I always have. And as I've grown, I've come to believe in parents too. Most of us are doing our best and doing a pretty good job of being both parents and teachers. Yes, even if you are not a licensed educator, if you are a parent, then you are definitely your child's first and greatest teacher!

~Holly
Twins Plus One, Three Times the Fun

Comments

  1. I totally think being a teacher before being a mom made me a better mom. Teaching prepared me for motherhood in a way that no other career would.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment