Adventures in Student Teaching: Week 2 Rewind



Well, my second week of student teaching has come to an end. It is has been an amazing experience just like my first week. I have had some great new experiences and opportunities that I am very thankful for.

The week started off with my very first staff day on Monday. The day started off with the breakfast being provided by the school and a staff meeting being led by the principal. She discussed some of the great things that have been happening at the school. She talked about where the school was when about 4 years ago, where they are now, and where they are heading. She also asked the teachers for a voted about whether they wanted a staff meeting every month or every other month. The staff voted in favor of a monthly staff meeting. After the staff meeting was over, I was had the opportunity to sit in on 3 different trainings.

The first training was about CHAMPS which is a positive behavior management program the school uses. CHAMPS stands for Conversation, Help, Activity, Movement, Participation, Success. This classroom management strategy allows you to let students know what their conversation level should be, what they should do if they need help, remind them of the activity they are doing, let them know what movement is allowed and what participation is required (Individual or Group) and that if they follow these things it will lead to success. I have seen it work in several of the classrooms that I have been in and it is great to make sure that all students know what behavior is expected of them during the tasks they complete.
           
The second training I completed was how to create a teacher webpage using myccsd.net to create a teacher web page that parents can check to find out about classroom announcements, resources and much more. The third training I completed was for K-2 teachers and the new writing program the school is implementing for the rest of the school year and into next school year. The day ended with a Special Education Department staff meeting to discuss the next steps for the school’s Inclusion program.

            Tuesday was a pretty busy day as we had an IEP meeting to finish up a discussion from last week about whether or not a student need Adaptive PE or not. As a team we decided to continue observing the student for a month and then determine whether Adaptive PE is need or if we need to create a BIP for the student. My cooperating teacher gave me the opportunity to create goals for a student’s Annual IEP Review based off his current present levels and where we would like to he him in a year.

This week my cooperating teacher really stepped back and gave me the ability to work with the students that we work with. The students are really accepting me more and more. They are willing to work with me more and they are started to come to me for more things. Even students that don’t receive direct Special Education services within the classrooms that we go into are accepting me.

        This week my school even had a Fundraiser Night at Chuck E. Cheese. I attended it with my family and when the principal of the school saw me she smiled really big. She told me that she is happy to have me as part of the school family. I thanked her for allowing me to be part of the school’s family. 

There was also a shelter in place drill at my school this week and Friday was a Spirit Day. The whole school dressed in blue for the spirit day. I also scheduled my first formal observation this week. My college supervisor will be coming on Tuesday Morning to observe me in my 3rd grade full Inclusion class. I will be teaching the whole class Trophies reading lesson.

This week I was also able to spend a few minutes talking to my general education cooperating teacher about me being able to slowly starting to work with her on my transition from my Special Education placement to my General Education placement with her. Even though the school focuses on Grade level planning, she is going to allow me to slowly create some lesson ideas that she can share with the other kindergarten teachers. I am looking forward to the rest of my student teaching experience and I can’t wait to see what the coming weeks have in store for me. 

Comments