Adventures In Student Teaching: 4 Weeks down and 12 More To Go


 Week 4 has come and gone, which means there are only 12 more weeks left to gain as much experience as I can. This week has been full of different experiences and opportunities for me.

On Monday, I had the opportunity to represent the Special Education Department at an academic committee meeting. On Tuesday, I had an opportunity to attend a special Sunrise Ceremony as the press and District dignitaries were present. (Click here for a list links to the Press Release) 

On Wednesday, I sat in and participated in an IEP meeting for a Kindergarten student who is in the Kindergarten class that I will be working in. This IEP meeting was an Annual IEP review meeting and it gave me an opportunity to get to know the student and the parent. It also gave me an opportunity to learn what the student’s present levels are and what her goals are for the next year. My cooperating teacher was acting as the LEA for the IEP and had to re-do a bunch of things because the Resource Teacher did not complete the IEP correctly which resulted in the IEP last over 2 hours.

The school’s Special Education Facilitator asked my cooperating teacher to do a training about graphing data using Microsoft Excel on the next staff development day; however my cooperating teacher won’t be here. My cooperating teacher told our Facilitator that I will be there and I am good at graphing data using Microsoft Excel, so my Facilitator asked me if I felt comfortable enough to do the training and I said yes. So on the next staff development day on the 21st I will be presenting the training to the rest of the Special Education Department. I am slightly nervous, but honored at the same time.

My cooperating teacher gave me the opportunity on Friday to administer the Woodcock-Johnson III Test of Achievement to a 4th grade student in preparation for his upcoming IEP meeting. My cooperating teacher also informed me that we have a new 2nd grade student that they just discovered is eligible for Special Education as Learning Disabled in all areas. My cooperating teacher told me that I will be creating the IEP under her guidance. Basically, she will be there if I have questions and to make sure that I am on right track and that I am following the Special Education laws.

I also this week finalized my introduction letter that I am having my general education cooperating teacher send out to the parents. I got to spend a little more time talking to her about when I start student teaching with her and getting a head start on my planning.

I also scheduled my second formal observation for this coming Tuesday, which is Valentine’s Day. I will be doing a Valentine’s theme math lesson in the second grade class that I spend most of my day in. The lesson I am doing is subtraction review lesson, so I have made it into a game in which there will be no one winner. Instead, everyone in the class will win a Valentine’s Goodie Bag from me. My husband helped me put together these bags that have a pencil, a ruler/tracer, an eraser, a sticker and a valentine.
Goodie Bag Making Station

I am really looking forward to the opportunities and experiences that are coming my way this next week and in the weeks to come.

Comments