Adventures in Student Teaching: Week 3 Reflection


Wow, 3 down weeks and 13 more weeks to go, and I can’t believe how the days are just flying by. Again my experience was amazing this week.

I get to deal with “exceptional” children daily since I am in an Inclusion Resource position. These students are so sweet and loveable and sometimes it is just hard to see how their peers treat them. The General Education teacher’s lessons do challenge each student in their class. With the 2nd grade class, the “exceptional” children in there are capable of doing grade level work, but they have ADHD which affects their ability to focus on the work they are doing. So from time to time, I do pull those students to our room to get them away from the distractions of their classmates so that they can focus and complete the work.

My cooperating teacher was away at a 4 day off campus training with 5 other staff members and I was left with a sub, so I basically was the main teacher this week. The sub did help in ways that I told her she could help and on Friday when my cooperating teacher came back she basically stood back to just observe and take care of things that came up during the four days she was gone.

            On Tuesday, I had my first formal observation by College Supervisor. He came to observe me teaching the Trophies reading lesson in the 3rd grade Inclusion class we go into. It went really well. There are a few things that I forgot to do. One thing I forgot to do start the audio version of the story for a student who has IEP accommodations to listen to the story instead of hearing whole group, but it was okay because since they focus on the same story all week there was ample enough time for her to listen to the story on tape. Another thing I forgot to do was acknowledge student’s answers with a positive and immediate feedback. Instead of walking around to make sure that everyone was following along, I relied on the teacher and my cooperating teacher’s   sub to walk around and make sure that everyone was on task. Now, I know what to work on and am looking forward to my next observation.  While my supervisor and I were out in the courtyard discussing my observation the principal came over and told him what a fabulous job I was doing and how she was happy to have my as part of the C.T. Sewell family.

            On Friday, my cooperating teacher went to our 4th grade class while I stayed in our 2nd grade class to help them with math since the teacher’s Elmo wouldn’t work she had to teach the math lesson on the carpet in a circle and need some extra help making sure that everyone was focused and paying attention. After the math lesson, I played Simon Says with the students while the teacher finished some important things that she needed to get done before school was over. The students loved it and I felt that it gave me an opportunity to establish a relationship with the students other than the ones that receive direct Special Education services.

            I also had some more time this week to sit down and talk to my General Education cooperating teacher to work on planning a math unit that I will teach when I begin my student teaching with her on March 12.  She is very comfortable with me jumping in and taking over as soon as I began my time with her. My experience has been marvelous; I believe that it will continue to be a remarkable experience. I can’t wait to see what opportunities come my way next.

Comments