Adventures in Student Teaching: Week 10


10 weeks down and six more weeks until the end of this adventure, I am having such a great time I can’t believe that it is almost over. This week was my 2nd week in Kindergarten and it was a great week filled with lots of learning opportunities.

On Monday, I took over calendar, lunch prep, and theme learning. It was a really great transition. The students were open to me teaching and really interacted with me. I did forget to go over how many days in school, but they did not freak out on me. I just had a student raise their hand and tell me that I forgot. On Tuesday, I added math to the list of things that I am now teaching. My math lesson was number comparison stories. I tried to do it with manipulatives, but had to put the manipulatives up because they students were playing with them more than they were paying attention to me. Once I put the manipulatives up I got more student participation.

On Wednesday, my cooperating teacher had no voice so I went from teaching part-time to teaching full time. I will be completely honest that full time teaching came quicker than we had discussed, but I felt ready and I have been doing great. On Thursday, my cooperating teacher had an IEP so I was by myself to get the students and get the day going. I was a little nervous at first, but the students really responded to me. Thursday was picture day and so in the middle of my calendar teaching, we were called for pictures so we had to revamp our morning schedule just a little, but it did not affect our whole day.

I also scheduled my next observation with my college supervisor on Thursday for Tuesday morning. I am looking forward this observation, because on Tuesday, my cooperating teacher will not be in the classroom, but she will be on campus. She will be working with the other kindergarten teachers to plan next year. So it will give me a true look at what I need to work on.  

On Friday, my cooperating teacher was out at an IEP meeting again so I had to get the day going by myself and she was in an out of the classroom most of the day. There was also a staff meeting on Friday morning. The school provided smoothies for all the staff. The staff meeting was to go over some of the major things happening in the next couple of weeks, to give recognition to staff that has earned it and to share the winners of the biggest loser competition. I did learn a valuable lesson though. I learned that it is really important to prepare for lessons the night before you plan to teach them. For our thematic learning, I was going to do an art project with the students and I figured I could gather the supplies on our prep period and something came up and I couldn’t use our prep period to gather the materials and I had to rush to do them before the lesson. Well, chaos ended up happening and we didn’t get a chance to finish the project like I had planned. One of the second grade teachers organized a staff-wide Happy Hour at the Cervasa Bar inside the Fiesta Henderson on Friday after school. The Fiesta is a community partner of the school, so they were happy to assist. It was a great time to hang out and get to know some of the staff members.

The school I am at allows me to gain experience with a few different types of innovative technologies. In the classroom, I have access to a Smartboard, an Elmo and laptop and projector to use during my lessons. The students are familiar with these technologies and they are excited to help with use them. I also have an infrared teardrop microphone that I use. The microphone is wireless and the sounds comes through the speakers in the classroom. It is so great because I don’t have to raise my voice because the microphone amplifies my voice so that all the students can hear no matter where they are sitting.

I can’t wait to see what experiences I will have in the coming weeks. I can’t wait to share my experiences with you. 

Comments