Adventures In Student Teaching: Week 7 Review

Omg, I just realized I did not post my reflection last week. So here it is a week late. 


Week 7-Self-Esteem Building

         Another week down and another week closer to the half-way point in my student teaching experience. This next week one chapter of my adventure will end and another chapter of my quest will begin. It will be a bittersweet week as I have had a great experience so far and I am looking forward to my new experiences, but at the same time I will have to learn a whole new daily routine. The best part about the switch is that I have already slowly built relationships with my new cooperating teacher and the students as they have been seeing me on the playground for the last 7-8 weeks.

         This week started like any other week with the exception that this week was Nevada Reading Week and the school was having a spirit week full of different dress up days. Monday was mismatch day, Tuesday was read me day: wear a shirt with words on it, Wednesday was a famous person from History day, Thursday was favorite storybook character and Friday was Pajama Day.

 I assisted with before school color guard practice on Monday. I also made copies and quickly prepped for the day. My cooperating teacher and the 2nd grade teacher I work with had an MDT/IEP meeting and the 2nd grade teacher was not going to be done in enough time to get her class and get them off to specials. So, I was asked if I would do it and of course I said yes. So for about 10 minutes, I was the teacher for a 2nd grade class before I went to my 3rd grade class to give direct services there. Also on Monday, my college supervisor came to observe me teaching a science lesson in 2nd grade. I was doing the introduction to their new unit on life cycles. My lesson went better than I thought it would minus a couple of technical difficulties. The students really enjoyed it since it was really a hands-on, active lesson.

         On Tuesday, I got to sit in on an Empowerment Staff meeting with the principal and vice principal. Since my cooperating teacher was in an IEP meeting, I took went with a Kindergartener to specials. My cooperating teacher gave me plenty of time to work on different projects as she went to our 2nd grade class at the end of our prep period and I just met her in our 4th grade class.

         On Wednesday, I helped out with before school guard practice. I also made final changes to the IEP I have been working on for the meeting on Friday. It was a pretty normal day. On Thursday, my cooperating teacher spent the day at an all day on-campus training. She had a sub so I worked with the sub. Before my cooperating teacher left for her training I met with her to discuss the IEP I had written and the adjustments that I needed to make. The sub went to the 2nd grade class for me while I went to specials with our kindergarten student. I also picked up some afternoon duties from an instructional aide who was out. I picked up a group of students and made sure that they got to their bus.  

         On Friday morning, I had the IEP meeting that I have been preparing for. I ran the meeting with some assistance from my cooperating teacher when I needed it. I feel that I did a great job handling the meeting. It was a pretty productive day on Friday for me. I got a lot accomplished and even slowly started to hand some of my duties back to my cooperating teacher. On Friday after school, I attended a baby shower for the school principal. 

         This week’s journal focus is on self-esteem building. I really implemented any activities that build self-esteem. The most I have done is tell students that I know that they can do it and show that I care and believe in them. I really don’t know if the school has a program to address this issue. From what I have seen it is just built in to the expectations of the students. To maintain my strong sense of self I am just focusing on what I do best and setting positive goals for myself. I believe that self-esteem is a tiny part of all the domains, because you have to believe in yourself and what you are doing.

         I am looking forward to sharing my experiences from my final week in my resource position and looking forward to sharing my first week of experiences in the general education.

Comments