Adventures in Student Teaching: Week 8


Week 8-New Activities

Well, my last week of my Special Education student teaching has come and gone. I am looking forward to my new adventure starting this week. My experiences within my special education student teaching have been amazing.

On Monday morning, my cooperating teacher and a second grade teacher had an IEP meeting so I had to go get the class for the teacher and stay with the class until I got them to specials. It was a very interesting morning and experience. The behaviors of this class was totally different then the other classes that I have been in. This class had students that got to work right away and did what they were supposed to and then there were some students who messed around the whole time. I assisted with color guard practice before school for a few minutes.
           
On Tuesday, I taught my last whole group trophies lesson in my 3rd grade class. I spent a good portion of the day making sure that I was ready for my mid-term conference, with my cooperating teacher and college supervisor and creating lesson plans for my general education student teaching. On Wednesday, I assisted with color guard practice before school. Due to the wind, the administration decided to operate on a rainy day schedule for lunch instead of regular schedule. It was a very interesting experience. I also spent some time in the afternoon in the school’s primary SLD class to see if that is a position that I would like to have. 

On Thursday morning, I met briefly with my general education cooperating teacher. She informed me that there are 24 students in the class, 10 students are on IEP’s and 5 students are being retained this year and 9 students are on grade level. She even gave me some pictures of the students with their names on them so that I can quickly learn their names. I also attended the grade level chair meeting during their prep. On Friday, I spent the last hour in the Kindergarten classroom I am going to be working in to see what the end of the day procedures are.

This week I really didn’t discover any new activities. I know that in the coming weeks I will be learning tons of new activities that I can use in my future classroom. I am looking forward to my new experiences. I can’t wait to share some of them with you next week.

Comments