Adventures in Student Teaching

With all the craziness of last week with coming back from Disneyland and my Grandma passing away I forgot to post my week 9 student teaching update. So here it is.


The big change week has finally come and gone. I am already starting to learn students’ names and who their parent is even though I have not had too much time to get to know the parents. My cooperating teacher has been very helpful in telling me some of the students’ background information. She has also told me which students that are being retained in Kindergarten at the end of the year. She has also given me heads up about a couple days where she will have a sub and letting me know that she will leave directions for the sub to let me teach and the sub just to sit back and watch.

I do know that this coming week I will be taking over calendar, thematic unit and a few other lessons. This week my role was mainly to observe and help the students as I felt comfortable. One of the things I did get to do was pull the high level students to test their reading. I had 5 Harcourt Emergent reader books and I had the student read the book to me. If they could read the book without too much assistance from me, I put a checkmark next to their name under the book number. Most of the student could read all five books. I had a couple who could only read 1 or 2 books.
        
The management system is the typical card system. But instead of just having green, yellow, red she has green, orange, yellow, and red. The students move to orange and that is their warning. She gives a few warnings before switching to yellow unless the student does something serious. Students who are on yellow or red at the end of the day are sent home a note that their parents have to sign and that the students bring back. Students on green or orange get a green card home. She does allow students to change their card back to green if their behavior improves. I am going to share my management system with her this week and see if we can incorporate mine into the classroom. I just don’t want to make any big changes right away.

         Instead of classroom jobs, she has chooses two classroom helpers on Monday who help with whatever we need in the classroom for a week. They mainly help as line leaders, calendar helpers and door holders. She does call different students to get their writing folders, poetry journals and decodable book pockets. My cooperating teacher also let me know that she changes the seating arrangement monthly as it gives the students a chance to not to get to comfortable in their seat and with the people they are sitting with. She shared with me what students not to sit next to each other on the carpet or at the tables.

         This coming week I am going to talk to her about table points and her experience with them, because I notice that she doesn’t use them. If she doesn’t mind I would like to try them and see how they work. She does literacy centers, but I feel that they way she does it is not an effective use of time and I am going to talk to her about me introducing a new way of doing centers. 

I am looking forward to taking on some teaching responsibilities and slowly heading toward full-time teaching. I can’t wait to share my adventures with you as they happen. 

Comments