Adventures in Student Teaching: Final Days


Wow, I can’t believe that I only have 3 days left of student teaching. I can’t believe that this chapter in my life adventure is almost over. I am finding myself think about how much I am going to miss my students. Part of me is excited about starting the next chapter of my life adventure and part of me is scared about the unknown.  

This week was a lot different than last week and it was filled with opportunities to learn. On Monday and Tuesday, my cooperating teacher was proctoring the CRT’s so for most of the day I was by myself. On Wednesday and Thursday my cooperating teacher took some personal days and there was a sub to support me. 

On Monday, my college supervisor came and met with my cooperating teacher and me to go over my final evaluation. The only major thing I need to work on is my classroom management. It is something that I am really struggling with. My cooperating teacher shared with me that classroom management is something that even she still struggles with. She suggested that I keep a look out for Professional Developments on classroom management and take as many as I can until I find something that works for me. “You can’t teach a class that you can’t manage.” 

The two days my cooperating teacher was gone, were absolutely crazy. The class was very, very, very talkative. No matter what I did I found myself struggling to keep them quiet long enough for me to teach.  I tried taking a penny from everyone, having the whole class put their heads down, and I even tried taking some of their recess. 

This week, we got a new student. It gave me an opportunity to refresh the students’ minds on classroom procedures and rules. Instead, of me going over the rules, I asked students to raise their hands and share a rule with the student. We taught the students more square dances for Spring Literacy Night and for a parents’ performance. 

On Friday, my cooperating teacher and I discussed what I learned the two days she was gone, my observation schedule for my last three days and her thoughts behind the observations. She wants me to look at different teaching styles as well as different management styles. 

I learned the importance of having a morning procedure and having something for the students to do when first coming in the classroom, because on Friday Morning my cooperating teacher was called away to a pre-k to Kinder IEP meeting and I had parents want to talk to me at the down. When I step more in the classroom from the door I had students everywhere except their seats.

I also learned that you cannot depend on technology and that if you have issues with technology it is best to move on quickly and not spend so much time trying to fix it because you will lose students attention and it can be hard to get their attention again. I also got to experience what it is like to handle a student’s birthday and a classroom celebration.

I can’t wait to see what my final 3 days bring. I can’t wait to attend their Square Dance performance on May 10th. It will be exciting to see everything come together.     

Comments