Adventures in Student Teaching: Week 11

Wow, I can't believe that I only have 5 more weeks of student teaching and then it is all over. Here is a brief reflection on my latest week experience. 



Wow another week has come to an end. I have learned so much about teaching from this week. My cooperating teacher has been really supportive and helpful. I can’t thank her enough for all her guidance and everything that she has done. 

This week was all me teaching. My only issues this week has been classroom management. At the beginning of the week I spent a lot of time focusing on the negative behaviors and I felt like I wasn’t getting anywhere. My cooperating teacher gave me some advice to focus on the students who were doing the right thing and it has started to get better. It didn’t help that I was the week before Spring Break.

On Tuesday, my cooperating teacher was not in the classroom and there was no sub. It was my first day by myself with the students and I feel that it went alright. My college supervisor came to observe me and he even said that I did pretty good.

I got to grade some papers this week and I started to work with reading groups. So far it has been a struggle with timing getting to all the groups. Each day I have to work with the two low groups and in between doing activities with them and trying to keep control of the class I don’t get to any of the other groups.

While on Spring Break, I will be planning and looking for my lessons for my last few weeks of full time teaching. I can’t believe that in about a month I will be done student teaching and on to graduation and trying to get my own classroom. I guess I should soak up these last few weeks and try to learn everything I can.

In terms of marketing myself, I have not been interviewed by anyone in the building, but my cooperating teacher made the comment that the administration is really impressed with my professionalism and the job that I am doing. I have also talked to the school’s Special Education facilitator who has been talking to the administration at the other school’s that she works out.

I am looking forward to the experiences that come in the next few weeks and closing this adventure of my educational journey.

 

Comments