Adventures in Student Teaching: Week 12


Week 12: Affection and Closure Part 1

Wow, what a week this week. I can’t believe that I have completed 12 weeks of my student teaching and 4 weeks of my general education student teaching adventure. To be completely honest I feel that this week has been my hardest week emotionally.

This was the first week back to school after a weeklong break. On Monday, I was prepared for their behaviors to be crazy, but it wasn’t until later in the week that behaviors started to be crazy. I guess they were just tired from the excitement of the break. On Monday, I chose my new helpers for the week and by lunchtime on Monday, I had to fire them and choose to new helpers because my helpers couldn’t handle the responsibilities. I told them that they could try again this coming week and that I wanted them to watch how leaders are supposed to act.

On Tuesday morning, we got a new student. It gave me an opportunity to refresh the students’ minds on classroom procedures and rules. Instead, of me going over the rules, I asked students to raise their hands and share a rule with the student. It didn’t take the student long to get comfortable in the classroom, because by the end of his second day in our class he was sent home with a yellow card.

Also on Tuesday afternoon, my college supervisor came to do my last formal observation. It was a great active lesson and students really enjoyed it. I still need to work on my classroom management and a few other things. One of the math lessons I taught this week, didn’t go so well. In reflecting on this lesson at the end of the day, there were several things that I could have done better. I made sure to right this reflection down to be sure that these are things that I think of the next time I am planning lessons.

We also started teaching the students to square dance for Spring Literacy Night and for a parents’ performance. They will be dancing to about 5-6 songs and we took one song and focused on it, so that it would not be too much for them to learn at once. They learned the song very quickly and are very good at it. We also shortened our morning calendar routine by taking away the time we spent counting. At first the students were thrown off by it, but by the end of the week they started to catch on. Also in the afternoon during math time when we count we have started to count down the days left of school. So now in the morning we count how many days they have been in school and in the afternoon we count how many days left of school.

I did have an interesting situation this week; I sent a student home with a red card and a note home. The next morning when I asked her for it, I saw her with a pencil and writing something on the note. Well it turns out that when she handed it to me that she had tried to sign her mom’s name. I didn’t take the note and I told her that she knew the consequence for not bringing her note. When I was talking to my cooperating teacher about it during prep she decided to call home and find out if the student’s mom had seen the note. It turns out that the student’s mom had not seen the note. So the student ended up getting recess and lunch detention.

During our grade-level meeting this week, they went over a new program that they are going to start next year to supplement the Trophies series and the introduction of high-frequency words. On Friday, I during prep my cooperating teacher and I were having a discussion. She was telling me that they school has a 90 minute reading block and about some improvements that she sees that I could make. Normally, I can take critiques well, but I was already feeling down and I just had to let it out. When my cooperating teacher saw that I was crying she asked me what was wrong and I told her that I felt like can’t find my middle ground. I feel like I am either teaching to fast or to slow. She said that she even has days like this and she told me to keep a journal and write down my success and keep that book with me all the time. She told me to read it when I feel down. We talked for quite a while. It was a great heart-to-heart. She made me feel a lot better. She has inspired me to continue to do the best I can.

I can’t wait to see what my final weeks bring. I can’t imagine what life is going to be like without these students in my daily life. There are several students that I have grown so much in the short time I have been in the classroom and I am so proud of them.      

Comments