Adventures in Student Teaching: Wrapping up


Week 13: Affection and Closure Part 2

Wow, I can’t believe that I have completed 13 weeks of my student teaching. I am finding myself think about how much I am going to miss my students. Part of me is excited about starting the next chapter of my life adventure and part of me is scared about the unknown.  

This week was a lot different. On Monday and Tuesday, my cooperating teacher was proctoring the CRT’s so for most of the day I was by myself. Don’t get me wrong it was a great experience because I really felt like an actual teacher.

This week, we got a new student. It gave me an opportunity to refresh the students’ minds on classroom procedures and rules. Instead, of me going over the rules, I asked students to raise their hands and share a rule with the student. We taught the students more square dances for Spring Literacy Night and for a parents’ performance. My cooperating teacher sent home a letter to the student who is a daily behavior problem letting the parent’s know that due to her behavior in class she will not be allowed to participate in the performance.

During our grade-level meeting this week, we discussed the square dance performance planning, end of year assessment and they discussed their feelings with the teacher’s union. I helped my cooperating teacher choose the super citizen of the month.

On Friday during prep, my cooperating teacher and I were having a discussion about next week. Since it is my last full week of teaching she wrote the lesson plans. We also started to look at items for the dinosaurs unit. This will be a three week unit that I get to start with the students and get them excited about.

My cooperating teacher is working on setting up some observations for me in the other kindergarten classrooms and 1st grade. I am looking forward to these observations and seeing different teaching styles and getting different ideas for my very own classroom.

One new thing that I learned this week was about inventive spelling. Inventive spelling encourages kindergarten and 1st grade students to sound out words and phonetically spell out the word by writing the sounds they hear.

I can’t wait to see what my final weeks bring. I can’t imagine what life is going to be like without these students in my daily life. There are several students that I have grown so much and continue to grow and I am so proud of them.      

Comments